Re: [AUCTeX] Rolling auctex into emacs?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Rolling auctex into emacs?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:02:01 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> ivo welch <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would like to upgrade emacs to version 23 or 24 on OSX.  there are
>> some nice binary distributions.  Alas, I want to have different
>> versions of emacs on my system.  (The 22 version was by zenitani, and
>> had auctex compiled in.  He no longer updates these, though.)  so, I
>> need to learn how to insert auctex into a precompiled emacs binary,
>> which has its own directory distinct from the other emacs binary.
>> sigh...
>
> Emacs 24 has a package manager.  With that, you simply do
>
>   M-x package-list-packages RET
>
> to get a list of emacs packages including auctex.  Mark it with `i' for
> install, then `x' for installing it.
>
>> this raises an obvious question.  why is auctex not part of emacs at
>> this point?
>
> Because emacs requires all contributors to assign copyright to the FSF.
> I think, there are still some people that have contributed to auctex in
> the past that haven't assigned their copyright, yet.

I am not sure we have any code with uncertain/unassigned origin
remaining.  Not everyone in the credits list has been able to be rounded
up, but at least all maintainers, principal authors and people who can
be found in copyright notices are covered unless my memory is faulty
here.  Ralf?  Would you consider that more or less accurate?

Hoisting AUCTeX off to Emacs would not likely give it much of a new
life, but at least there would be a solid place for it to stay.

--
David Kastrup