Re: [AUCTeX] visual-line-mode long-line-mode indent problem

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] visual-line-mode long-line-mode indent problem
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:41:52 +0100

Marco Stronati <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Marco,

> I am trying to switch from auto-fill-mode that insert hard line-break
> to either visual-line-mode or long-line-mode that use soft line-break.
> This is convenient because when using a version control system it is
> much easier to spot the actual modification,

I disagree.  When every paragraph is in fact just one line, the VCS
diffs are usually huge and it's extremely hard to spot the actual
modification.

> and it make easier to work with other people too.

Yes, when writing docs together with people with inferior editors, I
also use visual-line-mode.

> Unfortunately if I enable one of these two modes with auctex I have no
> indentation inside environments
>
> \begin{definition}
>   Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla bla bla bla bla bla
> \end{definition}
>
> is there a way to solve this?

If you already use Emacs 24 with it's integrated package manager,
there's the adaptive-wrap package on GNU ELPA.  That visually indents
the wrapped around lines according to the indentation of the previous
line.  So your example above would be shown as

\begin{definition}
  Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
  bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
  bla bla bla bla
\end{definition}

where all the bla-blas are actually on one logical line.

I activate this mode whenever visual-line-mode is enabled:

  (add-hook 'visual-line-mode-hook 'adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode)

Bye,
Tassilo