Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX configure blocked by memory of old TL2011 installati

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX configure blocked by memory of old TL2011 installation
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 10:43:29 -0400

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 11:53:57PM +1000, Jeffrey Spencer wrote:
> Can you run ./configure --prefix=$HOME ?? I reckon that should do the
> trick. Not sure on Debian but if trying to install from the package manager
> I believe it will always try in /usr/local first even if your PATH is set
> to the user's home directory prior to system directories.

Jeff, I tried that, but it can't be done as user (permission denied), and if
done as root, the value of $HOME is /root. If done with $ sudo, the value of
$HOME is user's home, but I get:

  checking for make... make
  checking for date in ChangeLog... 2008-02-10
  checking for release in ChangeLog... 11.85
  checking for emacs... /usr/bin/emacs
  checking if /usr/bin/emacs is XEmacs... no
  checking for Emacs prefix... "/usr"
  checking if Emacs is recent enough... yes
  checking for MULE support... yes
  checking if build directory is valid... configure: error: Build directory
inside
        load-path!  Aborting!

There was a Debian bug/AUCTeX design issue back in ca. 2004-6 that
produced this error. The AUCTeX developer (Davide Salvetti) noted that
in Debian AUCTeX must be installed in a directory in the load path
while AUCTeX elisp byte-compiled objects are required to be installed
in another (emacsen flavor dependent) directory also contained in
"load-path", though of course this last occurring first of the other.
I get the impression he fixed this problem in the debian AUCTeX. I'm
afraid I don't understand any of this.

> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Haines Brown <address@hidden> wrote:

> > The new TL2011 works fine from command line, but AUCTeX ceased to
> > function. I purged it and reinstalled it. However, its present status
> > is "partially configured." The installation returned this:

> > The CompilationLog has:

> >  checking for pdflatex... /bin/true
> >  sed: can't read latex/preview.dtx: No such file or directory
> >  checking for tex... /bin/true
> >  configure: error: --with-texmf-dir="/usr/share/texmf/":
> >        Directory does not exist
> >  configure: error: ./configure failed for preview
> >
> > It seems AUCTeX wants to use the old location of TeXLive. I have a
> > ~/texlive/2011/texmf, but no /usr/share/texmf. In /usr/share/ there is
> > only tex-common, texinfo, texlive base, texlive-bin, texmf-texlive,
> > texpower. How do I tell AUCTeX the present location of texmf?

Haines Brown