[AUCTeX] Installation of CTAN AUCTeX into emacs

From: Haines Brown
Subject: [AUCTeX] Installation of CTAN AUCTeX into emacs
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:31:18 -0400

David,

I downloaded an AUCTeX tarball in order to run it under emacs using
TL2011, also from CTAN.

The installation instructions loose me. When I unpacked the tarball, I
get a set of directories. Which is the "source directory"? None seem
appropriate to running a ./configure command, such as one would do to
create a C binary.

In the lisp/auctex/ directory are .el files. Usually when I install
an emacs application I simply put the .el files into emacs environment
and call them from emacs init; no compilation necessary.

Haines Brown