Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:28:46 -0600

David,

On 12/16/2012 05:32 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

"Axel E. Retif" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

I ran memtester for about an hour, without any problem.

I've had this more than once: different CPU generations and chipsets,
nothing to be seen under regular memtest.  It might be related to some
memory accesses (like opcode fetches) being affected more by timing
problems than others, or it might be partly a refresh problem that just
does not emerge in the quasi-regular patterns from a memory test.

But program errors (and/or a bad bit in program code or address) are not
likely to accidentally cause merely a single bit change.  While the
"evidence" so far is minuscule, my current guess would be bad memory.

I haven't changed my RAM chips ---that is, I only have factory installed memory (Gateway NV59). But, of course, that's not guarantee.

As the Emacsen compiled by me are in $HOME/bin, I have installed

   GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
    of 2012-11-08 on lakoocha, modified by Debian

by Robert Browning, from Damien Cassou's ppa. I will install AUCTeX on it and use this exclusively, and see what happens.

Unfortunately, I think the bad memory is a real possibility. But I don't rule out completely a Gnome/Unity problem.

Best

Axel