Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 04:44:06 -0600

Tassilo,

The first, instead of the word ``según'' Meld showed in the new
version of the file something like ``segÃn'',

Hm, assuming UTF-8 and again the bit-2-flip, it would be:

ú = 11111010
þ = 11111110

Maybe Meld prints à in case the font doesn't have a glyph for the
character to display?

I just inserted a Latin Small Letter Thorn (þ) in an org file and Meld identified it without problem. This sort of weird substitutions (say, Ã for ú, È for é, > for ¿, etc.) happens to me a lot with files coming with strange Windows encodings (and, incidentally, the TeX files I'm working on came from a Windows machine ---that could have been a tempting explanation for the TeX corruption in the first place, but it couldn't explain my own org-mode files corruption, or the KDE config file corruption).

[...]

I think the diff is recalculated and loaded into memory again.  If you
hadn't switched your memory modules, I would have guessed that when
reloading the diff or file, chances are high that it ends up in a
non-broken part of memory and thus the corruption is gone.  In any case,
the contents on the disk seem to be correct, else a recalculation of a
git diff or reopening a file wouldn't revert the corruption.

So that leaves two possibilities:

  1. The new RAM is broken in exactly the same way as the old (very
     unlikely)

And different brands also. I ordered the Kingston modules because it has good reputation.

  2. Something else is broken

Since the disk contents are probably correct, the "something else" has
to be somewhere between disk and memory.  Maybe your disk's I/O
controller goes wonky, or your PCI controller, or whatnot.

To rule out your disk's I/O controller, you could move your document git
repositories from your main disk to some other disk (e.g., to an
external disk connected via USB).  If the issue disappears, then you
gotta buy a new disk.

This would be better, as can't afford a new machine right now.

The second, it showed a $ instead of a space.

Same pattern again:

SPACE = 100000
$     = 100100

Oh, dear...!

Thank you for your kind interest and help. I'll keep you informed.

Best,

Axel