Re: [AUCTeX] meetingmins.elc

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] meetingmins.elc
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:43:40 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi David,

>>> meetingmins.el[c] is not part of AUCTeX, but it seems some distros
>>> [1] use AUCTeX to parse your latex distros packages and include the
>>> generated style files in their AUCTeX packages.  If that's the case,
>>> the file probably resides in some auctex/auto/ directory.
>>>
>>> If it's such a generated style file, you don't have to do anything to
>>> use it.  If your document has a \usepackage{meetingmins}, AUCTeX will
>>> load the style automatically and the completion (e.g., C-c RET, C-c
>>> C-e) will offer you the macros/environments defined by
>>> meetingmins.sty automatically.
>>
>> _If_ you have configured automatic parsing of documents which defaults
>> to "off" to accommodate people whose interest in TeX is restricted to
>> read-only.
>
> Yes, right.  But since the AUCTeX docs suggest enabling the parsing on
> the very first page, I guess most users simply follow that advice.

You used "docs" and "most users" in the same sentence.

In the old times, users had to find and read the docs in order to figure
out the mailing list addresses, so there would be a modicum of
expectation for this to be at least "most developer-visible users".  But
we are living in the age of search engines, and a user trying to figure
out where to complain will often not be aware that the page with the
mailing list addresses is part of a larger, well(or not so
well)-organized document.  With AUCTeX (and Emacs in general) there is
also the problem that an unorganized search for information will turn up
decade-old pages with advice that quite often was a bad idea already
when first written.

--
David Kastrup