[AUCTeX] AUCTeX 11.87 does not ask to save before compiling

From: Andreas Hock
Subject: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX 11.87 does not ask to save before compiling
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 13:28:59 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

after updating to Ubuntu raring, I'm currently running AUCTeX 11.87 on Emacs
23.4.1 and have installed AUCTeX as per instructions.

When I now create a new *.tex-File per C-x C-f, AUCTeX starts up as expected.
But when I then run C-c C-c to compile the document, AUCTeX defaults to
"View" instead of "LaTeX" (though the buffer has been modified). It also does
not ask to save the newly created document.
When I manually choose "LaTeX" it then tries to run latex on a non-existent
file.

I expect to be asked to save the (not yet created) file and then being
offered to "LaTeX" it - I'm pretty sure that's how AUCTeX 11.86 always
behaved. (?)

Manually saving the file (C-x C-s) fixes everything, and AUCTeX then
correctly recommends "LaTeX" when the file is modified again.

So my questions are:

1) Is this a configuration error on my part?

2) Is this behaviour new in AUCTeX 11.87, or have I just not noticed it until
now?

Thanks
Andreas