[AUCTeX] Fwd: Auctex with Mac

From: Max Bigras
Subject: [AUCTeX] Fwd: Auctex with Mac
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 21:03:36 -0800

Right David, thank you for clearing up that misunderstanding.

What I'd like is to be able to use emacs and auctex successfully.

Some system information:

ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.8.5
BuildVersion:   12F45

Emacs
Version 24.3 (9.0)

AUCTeX-version is a variable defined in `tex-site.el'.
Its value is "11.87"

There's two things that I've tried. First, installing auctex
interactively from within emacs as recommended:

M-x package-list-packages RET

On the surface things seem to be working as expected:

\documentclass{article}
\bein{document}
Hello world
\section{Here lies a section}
Hello people.
\end{doument}

You can't see it in the code, but on my emacs screen the syntax
highlighting is working, and the auctex icons are visible. Also
environment completion commands work expected (like filling in \begin
and \figure stuff). Now issuing the compile command:

C-c C-c

I get the following message:

LaTeX: problems after [0] pages

looking at the source there is two mistakes that are not picked up,
furthermore it seems like the document is not even compiled even if
there are no mistakes, there is no dvi or pdf or aux files created.
Also testing the viewing functional, nothing happens. So it seems like
something isn't configured properly.

Second, without uninstalling or removing auctex (which I suspect could
have to do with something but I'm not sure as we'll see later) I found
the webpage:
http://algorithmicallyrandom.blogspot.com/2012/08/getting-auctex-working-on-mac-os-x.html
That recommends building from source:

*) ./configure --with-emacs=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
--disable-preview
--with-lispdir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/
*) make
*) sudo make install

Then add these lines to your .emacs file

(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'visual-line-mode)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'LaTeX-math-mode)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)

Something that makes me think this installation was successful is the
source I downloaded is for version 11.87 and thats the version of
auctex that I'm currently running. However, the same behavior
continues, basically none of the compiling or viewing functionality
seems to be working.

Another thing, from reading around it seems like you also need the
preview-latex.el package, when including it in my .emacs file

(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

I get an error so I'm pretty sure that package isn't installed
properly. So my question is mainly, what am I missing here? How can I
successfully run emacs and auctex (and maybe the preview-latex.el
package also) together?

Maybe this includes removing auctex completely and installing it
again. How do I remove an emacs package when I installed it
interactively (try one)? How do I remove the emacs package when I
installed it from source (try two)?

Also its possible that I haven't installed ghost script but I'm not
sure how to check.

Finally, I'm sure that my distribution of mactex is working fine as I
am able to compile latex documents with other tex editors like texshop
or from the terminal.

Man, I know this is a lot, I'm trying to provide any information that
is required. If you've waded through this and can help me I'd be so
grateful.

Kindly,

Max