Re: [AUCTeX] style hooks and info compilation failures on git auctex

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] style hooks and info compilation failures on git auctex
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:30:08 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Sivaram,

>> Well, it could mean that auctex doesn't find the style hooks.  Did
>> you install auctex like stated in the docs?
>
> It works now if I follow your suggestions(I too want to keep it inside
> the git cloned folder) on
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auctex.general/5019

Ok, but be aware that now you're living on unsupported ground. ;-)

> But I promptly ran into another issue.
>
> I did the following
>
> $./autogen.sh
> $./configure  --prefix=c:/gnu/ --with-emacs=c:/gnu/emacs-24.3/bin/emacs
> --with-texmf-dir=c:/MiKTeX2.9/
> $ make
>
> It all compiled successfully now but info didn't create the dir index
> file.

Yes, that's normal since "make install" would install the info files in
/usr/[local/]share/info and update the dir file there.  But you can
generate your own by running

  for x in *.info; do
    install-info --dir-file=dir $x
  done

in auctex/doc.

> $cd doc/
> $ for x in *.info ; do install-info --test --dir-file=dir $x;done
> install-info: No such file or directory for dir
> install-info: No such file or directory for dir
>
> Should I do it like this? (ignore the test flag)

Ah, yes.

> $ for x in *.info ; do install-info --test
> --dir-file=/cygdrive/c/gnu/emacs-24.3/info/dir $x;done

That would also work, but I guess it's better to keep it separated from
emacs' built-in info index.

> I now have this in my .Emacs
>
> ;; AUC TeX
> (setq TeX-data-directory "C:/gnu/elisp/auctex/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/gnu/elisp/auctex/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/gnu/elisp/auctex/preview/")
> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> (setq preview-image-type 'png)
> ;;;;;(require 'tex-site)
> (require 'tex-mik)
>
> Opening up a tex file, I can see the style files being read and I'm
> able to get the package specific commands as part of auctex command list.
>
> I now have a strange issue, that the preview icon is not showing up at
> all in the toolbar.  The *Message* buffer is filled with lines like
> this.
>
> Cannot find image file
> `c:/gnu/elisp/auctex/preview/auctex/images/prvtex24.xpm'
>                                                    ^^^^^^^
>
> I have no idea why that additional 'auctex' path is getting inserted
>  after 'preview' when the correct path is
>
>  `c:/gnu/elisp/auctex/preview/images/prvtex24.xpm'
>
> Where do I start looking?

Well, that's what I'm using now to run auctex from the git clone
directly.

(setq TeX-data-directory "~/Repos/el/auctex"
      TeX-lisp-directory TeX-data-directory
      preview-datadir (expand-file-name "preview" TeX-data-directory)
      preview-lispdir preview-datadir)

(eval-after-load 'info
  '(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/Repos/el/auctex/doc"))

(load "~/Repos/el/auctex/auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "~/Repos/el/auctex/preview/preview-latex.el" nil t t)

Your problem is caused by `preview-datadir' being wrong.  (And yet
again, running auctex from the git clone directory is not officially
supported, though I'm doing fine with above settings.)

Bye,
Tassilo