Re: [AUCTeX] viewer for dvi output on mac os x

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] viewer for dvi output on mac os x
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:23:30 +0100

Le 23 nov. 2014 at 18:03, jfbu wrote :

> Couldn't it be assumed that people who use dvi output mode
> know they need a dvi viewer and have installed one? and that
> in the majority of cases this will be xdvi with XQuartz?
>
> Using "open" as default is using something which, AFAIK,
> will does not correctly open a dvi file.

I must reprimand myself.

It is quite possible that a user wanting to use dvi files
will have made the suitable configuration of Mac OS X
for opening .dvi files either "double-clicking" in the Finder,
or with "open" in Terminal.

However, I don't know offhand anyway to do this, and specify to
use xdvi, apart from creating an AppleScript or similar as a tiny
Mac application, which does open -a XQuartz and then xdvi, and
then assign it as the default application for file extension
.dvi

(actually this is exactly what I had years ago, but I had forgotten)

Well, I don't know anymore if I am right to make this noise about
the current mapping of "output-dvi" to "open" on Mac OS X...

Best
Jean-Francois