[AUCTeX] Problem with German quotes

From: Lucas Holland
Subject: [AUCTeX] Problem with German quotes
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 17:19:04 +0100

Hello all,

according to the manual (section 4.1) AucTeX will recognise statements like
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel} and automatically insert the right quotes (i. e. "`
and "’ ). This doesn’t work for me with the following setup:

I have a master document that uses a custom package (like so:
\usepackage{mypackage}). In that package I include all the packages I use in my
document among them \usepackage[ngerman]{babel}. I have

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

at the end of my master file and

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: "../masterfile"
%%% End:

in my custom package file (.sty file).

Is there a way I can make AuCTeX recognise that I’m using the babel package
with the ngerman option so that it automatically uses the right quotes?

Thanks!