Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 14:22:23 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

Tassilo Horn writes:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>> After opening a .tex file in Emacs, I got this when trying to compile
>> the document to PDF :
>>
>> C-c C-c is undefined
>> ad-handle-definition: `TeX-recenter-output-buffer' got redefined
>> File mode specification error: (dbus-error "No connection to bus" :session)
>
> It's a bit strange that the C-c C-c is undefined message comes before
> the error.

Don't over-interpret this.  I may have taken lines in the wrong order,
as I did several tests, and I had several repetitions of those messages.

> Possibly there has been an earlier error which already broke the
> initialization of `TeX-latex-mode' in that buffer.

Yes, the initialization seems broken because, when opening a .tex file,
the mode stays in "Fundamental", hence the warning when I still tried to
execute `C-c C-c' the first time.

>> To make things clear, the same operation worked on almost the same
>> LaTeX document 5 min earlier... Though, I don't understand what can
>> explain the behavior change in the same Emacs session...
>
> That's strange.

Nothing more to add on that fact.

>> Any tip on what I should do or report here?
>
> If that's reproducible, try toggling debug-on-error before visiting
> that file so that we know where the error occurs exactly.

I did.  But, even when reverting the .tex buffer, nothings happens.
Only the error

  "TeX-evince-dbus-p: D-Bus error: "No connection to bus", :session "

gets displayed, as you can see on http://screencast.com/t/QpYydpq1WH.

>> I've seen posts (from 2011) stating that such message should not be
>> displayed anymore... See
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auctex.devel/2585.  That makes
>> me really wonder about what's the cause of the problem here...
>
> Yes, indeed.  There's a predicate `TeX-evince-dbus-p' which should
> never error and test if DBUS is available on the system and supported
> by Emacs, and if the relevant Evince DBUS interfaces are available.
>
> In case you can reproduce the issue, you could edebug that function to
> see where the error occurs.

I've edebug'ed the function `TeX-evince-dbus-p' from tex.el.

The `and' returns `nil' on the 3rd line:

       (dbus-ignore-errors (dbus-get-unique-name :session))

See http://screencast.com/t/2QHtttjSm.

What's not clear to me at this instant is that `C-h f TeX-evince-dbus-p'
doesn't return me a link to the file where the function is defined, as
you can see on http://screencast.com/t/7HSPqoXIJm.

Installation problem?  I'm using the ELPA version!

`C-h v AUCTeX-version' returns "11.88.6"...

And `M-x locate-library RET tex-site' returns "Library is file
~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88.6/tex-site.elc".

So, it seems well installed, nope?  And I don't have any trouble with
any of the 10's of packages I'm using from MELPA (which were working
with the Windows Emacs, and are still working with the Cygwin Emacs).

Best regards,
  Seb

PS- I don't have `evince' installed on my Windows.  I'm using SumatraPDF
    to view the PDF files.  I don't know about evince, but that one
    refreshes automatically the PDF after each compilation.

--
Sebastien Vauban