Re: [AUCTeX] minor releases

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] minor releases
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:35:46 +0200

giacomo boffi <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

> I cannot use melpa to update auctex+preview and I'm a bit worried,

You don't need to use melpa.  AUCTeX is available from GNU ELPA.  But I
guess that doesn't make a difference, right?

What's holding you up from using the Emacs package manager?

> 11.88 is one year old and you had seven minor releases on melpa, some
> of them correcting problematic issues.
>
> I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to make available the minor
> releases either as tar.gz or, at least, in terms of patches.

Well, the thing with ELPA releases is that it's very easy for me to do.
And these releases don't need to be perfect because I can easily fix
bugs if they are reported and make another release the next day.

That's pretty different to the "normal" releases.  Those require more
testing on different platforms/(X)Emacs versions, we have to write up
and check all docs of new features that have piled up, the webpage needs
needs to be updated, etc.

That said, I'm all in favor of releasing 11.89 anytime soon if Mosè
agrees.  In the end, he's our release manager because he has infinitely
more experiences in doing releases.  (He did it once, I haven't done it
at all. :-))

Bye,
Tassilo