Re: [AUCTeX] feature request: generate a makefile based on masterfile

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] feature request: generate a makefile based on masterfile
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:53:36 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it possible for Auctex to generate a makefile based on the
> structure of the master file?

You mean, something which would look through your document for picking
out included files and images and then generates a Makefile with proper
dependencies such that make will re-generated your document also if some
included image has changed?  No, that's not possible right now, and I
don't think that this is exactly in AUCTeX scope.  But googling a bit
shows that there are some generic, customizable Makefiles for latex, and
also some Makefile generators.

What I frequently use is latexmk.  Basically, instead of running "latex
mydoc.tex" you say "latexmk mydoc.tex" and that will compile your
document as often as it is needed in order to have all references
defined.

Recent AUCTeX ELPA versions can do the same using the new command

,----[ C-h f TeX-command-run-all RET ]
| TeX-command-run-all is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp function in
| ‘tex-buf.el’.
|
| (TeX-command-run-all ARG)
|
| Compile the current document until an error occurs or it is finished.
| With a prefix ARG (‘C-u M-x TeX-command-run-all’),
| compile the current region instead, e.g, call
| ‘TeX-command-run-all-region’.  With multiple prefix
| arguments (‘C-u C-u M-x TeX-command-run-all’),
| compile the current section instead, e.g. call
| ‘LaTeX-command-run-all-section’.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo