Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error problems when using auctex-latexmk

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error problems when using auctex-latexmk
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 21:08:50 +0100

Hi Ista,

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using auctex-latexmk from
> https://github.com/tom-tan/auctex-latexmk. I'm not entirely sure if I
> should be reporting this here or there, but decided to try here first.
> If you think this is a bug that should be reported to auctex-latexmk
> instead please let me know.
>
> When I compile a .tex file that produces errors, calling
> TeX-next-error with C-c ` produces a strange and unhelpful result.
> Instead of placing the point in the .tex document at the point of the
> error, it opens /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.mkii.
> It gets the line number correct (i.e., if there is an error on line 6
> of the .tex file then point is placed on line 6 of supp-pdf.mkii), but
> somehow it gets the wrong file. I've tried to pinpoint the source of
> the problem, but all I've come up with is that it only seems to happen
> when the graphicx package is used.
>
> Since TeX-next-error works fine when compiling with C-c LaTeX <ret> I
> tried to see what happens differently when calling C-c LatexMk <ret>
> instead. Diffs are at http://pastebin.com/X8egZ1EG for the *output*
> buffers and at http://pastebin.com/r7aubUvk for the log files.
>
> Installing and activating auctex-latexmk is required to reproduce the
> problem, but after that it is easy:
>
> 1) create a new .tex file with this content
>
> %%% cut here %%%
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \WTF
>
> \end{document}
>
> %%% cut here %%%
>
> 2) compile with C-c LatexMk <ret>
>
> 3) try to navigate errors with C-c `

I didn't try to reproduce the error by installing `auctex-latexmk'
because it's known that AUCTeX sometimes fails to parse the output log
and picks up supp-pdf.mkii as offending file for warnings/errors.
There are some works in progress trying to address this problem, but
I'm not sure they're really still in progress.

BTW, do you know that since version 11.89 there is the new key
bindings C-c C-a that automatically runs all commands needed to
compile the document?  It's much like latexmk, but builtin in AUCTeX
;-)

Bye,
Mosè