Re: [AUCTeX] Logo for AUCTeX: request for ideas

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Logo for AUCTeX: request for ideas
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 08:49:58 +0100

On Wed, Mar 02 2016, Mosè Giordano wrote:

> Hi Tamas,

>> You are of course right, it would be good to involve the community. I
>> could not resist drafting up a logo myself, in the minimalistic style of
>> the projects you mention above (not that I would be capable of anything
>> that requires more skill). The background is the current AUCTeX webpage
>> color, and the highlighted E is of course for Emacs. Since I don't have
>> a good eye for color or kerning or design or anything related, I attach
>> the source if anyone wants to change it. The font is free and part of
>> TeXLive.
>
> While I initially liked some of the first ideas proposed, I started
> thinking that maybe putting too much symbolism would make the logo too
> complicated to understand.
>
> Your proposal is simple and effective, and the idea of producing the
> logo of AUCTeX by means of AUCTeX itself is intriguing!  I'd change
> the font, for example I like Crimson (or its new fork Cochineal).
> Please find attached my take.  I slightly changed kerning and raised
> the E.

Yes, Crimson does look nicer. I changed the kerning a bit, to a
compromise between the default and my somewhat cramped original
version. AFAIK tighter kerning is common for logos.

I also attach experiments with a b/w version using outlines, but that
does not look so good, so a plain vanilla version (no pagecolor, no
color) might be better.

Best,

Tamas
\documentclass[border=0.5mm]{standalone}
\usepackage{crimson}
\usepackage[svgnames]{xcolor}
\pagecolor[HTML]{556680}
\newcommand\auc{A\kern-0.05emU\kern-0.03emC}
\newlength{\auclength}
\settowidth{\auclength}{\auc}
\begin{document}
\begin{minipage}{\auclength}
  \color{white}%
  \centering%
  \auc\\[-0.7ex]
  T\kern-.15em\lower.46ex\hbox{\color{Crimson}E}\kern-.06emX
\end{minipage}
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

\documentclass[border=0.5mm]{standalone}
\usepackage{crimson}
\usepackage[svgnames]{xcolor}
\newcommand\auc{A\kern-0.05emU\kern-0.03emC}
\newlength{\auclength}
\settowidth{\auclength}{\auc}
\usepackage{pdfrender}
\newcommand{\outline}[1]{\textpdfrender{%
    TextRenderingMode=2,%
    LineWidth=.05ex,%
    StrokeColor=black,
    FillColor=,
  }{#1}}
\begin{document}
\begin{minipage}{\auclength}
  \color{white}%
  \centering%
  \outline{\auc}\\[-0.7ex]
  \outline{T}\kern-.15em\lower.46ex\hbox{\color{black}E}\kern-.06em\outline{X}
\end{minipage}
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex