Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Embedded previews in high-DPI?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 13:15:45 +0200

Hi David,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
> No, it doesn't fix the problem of the resolution mismatch.  Instead it
> reverts to using the image-io image type (which is _not_ provided by GNU
> Emacs but rather by a third-party Mac Emacs port with additional
> MacOSX-only support, like the Mac-only proprietary PDFKit library
> <URL:https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Reference/PDFKit_Ref/index.html>)
> in order to provide the images not as bitmaps but rather as PDF files to
> be rendered by a proprietary renderer that is not supported by GNU Emacs
> (exactly because it is MacOSX-only).

I got that it requires non-vanilla GNU Emacs, and this is my first
concern, that's why I asked if it's possible to port the needed
changes to GNU Emacs.  Then, preview-latex would just take advantage
of GNU Emacs features, whatever it is.  My problem was that I don't
know in what Macport Emacs is different from GNU Emacs, and what was
PDFKit.  In addition I don't really know what the original problem is,
not having experience of it.  For all of these reasons I asked for
clarification.

> Have you actually looked at the code?

I did have a look at the code, but didn't grasp the details because of
the above-mentioned reasons.

> I don't think it makes sense
> discussing it without knowing what it does.

I don't think asking to make the question clear to everyone hurts.

Bye,
Mosè