[AUCTeX] Problem accessing style files when document is split from pream

From: Nicolas Vaughan
Subject: [AUCTeX] Problem accessing style files when document is split from preamble
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 20:09:02 -0500

Hi,
I have a problem using AUCTeX style files when a documentis broken into a main file and a preamble. For instance, say my preamble is contained in the following file preamble.tex:

% --------- preamble.tex begins here -----------
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{csquotes}
\usepackage{tcolorbox}
% --------- preamble.tex ends here -----------

And my document document.tex is this one:

% --------- document.tex begins here -----------
\input{preamble.tex}
\begin{document}
  Lorem ipsum...
\end{document}
%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: "preamble"
%%% End:
% --------- document.tex ends here -----------

The problem is that AUCTeX doesn't know that I am using csquotes and tcolorbox packages, and thus it doesn't load the corresponding style files. Note I have included the "TeX-master" instruction.

(Of course, if I join the two files in one, AUCTeX is aware of my packages and everything works just fine.)

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Nicolas Vaughan