[AUCTeX] Overenthusiastic language detection

From: Tristan Miller
Subject: [AUCTeX] Overenthusiastic language detection
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 16:28:47 +0200

Dear all,

AUCTeX automatically changes the quote and hyphen insertion when using
certain Babel languages.  However, I can't help wondering whether the
mechanism it uses to detect the language is a little overenthusiastic.

I usually write in some variant of English, but need to write
occasional passages in some other language.  So I usually have
something like the following in my preamble:

\usepackage[ngerman,canadian]{babel}

This causes AUCTeX to change the behaviour of the " and - keys to
support German text, which is not convenient when the vast majority of
the document is in English.

Does it really make sense for AUCTeX to do this when the last entry in
the argument list for Babel is an English one?  Even if so, what can I
do to automatically suppress this behaviour?  I still want the
appropriate non-English behaviour of " and - when a non-English
language is the last argument to Babel; I just don't want the
non-English behaviour when "english", "american", "british", etc. is
the last argument.

(By the way, in the HTML version of the documentation at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/auctex.html>, the
"European" section (ยง5.4.1) is empty and its subsections give 404
errors.)

Regards,
Tristan

--