Re: [AUCTeX] beamer

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] beamer
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 21:44:04 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Arash Esbati <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure if we have an issue with the manual of preview here, but
>> IIRC, one must pass the environments option(s) explicitly to preview.sty
>> if loaded in .tex file, `active' alone doesn't suffice.  This code
>> produces the desired result:
>>
>> \documentclass{beamer}
>>
>> \usepackage[textmath,displaymath,sections,active]{preview}
>> \PreviewEnvironment*{frame}
>
> Ciao Arash,
>
> the documentation of the latex side of preview has
>
>     *active* is the most essential option. If this option is not
>       specified, the preview package will be inactive and the document
>       will be typeset as if the preview package were not loaded, except
>       that all declarations and environments defined by the package are
>       still legal but have no effect. This allows defining previewing
>       characteristics in your document, and only activating them by
>       calling LaTeX as
>
>          latex ’\PassOptionsToPackage{active}{preview}\input{filename}’
>
> my understanding is that you manually specify "active" only in the
> relatively rare case in which you want to extract. e.g., the formulas
> from a document as a set of png files --- in all the other cases, in
> which you want to normally process the .tex file and just want to modify
> the behavior of preview, e.g., with respect to beamer's "frame"
> environments, you DO NOT put "active" in the latex source, because it's
> the job of preview the elisp package to correctly invoke latex.

Hi Giacomo,

yes, you're right in this respect; `active' is not necessary in a .tex
file; I should have checked more carefully.

But my point was a different one: If you load preview as a package in
your .tex file, you must pass options like `displaymath' to the package.
preview.sty doesn't set any defaults as it doesn't have a
\ExecuteOptions{...} in the .sty file.  This is the reason why your
test2.tex didn't work.

> I have to add that the behavior described in the manual is no more what
> happens using preview.el these days.

Can you please elaborate?

Best, Arash