Re: [Audio-video] Richard Stallman's speech at Norwich

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] Richard Stallman's speech at Norwich
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:20:13 -0800 (PST)

Jeremy  Hansen <address@hidden> wrote ..
> Hi GNU AV folks-
>
> Is there an issue with distributing RMS' speeches on Youtube? I know he asked
> for
> a list of specific file types, but if they're on Youtube, it's not clear to me
> exactly how much control we have over the format. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated!

The single overarching principle is that the speeches should always be in free
and unencumbered formats (Think Ogg Vorbis, Theora, WebM, Speex, FLAC, etc.)

People have uploaded RMS's speeches to YouTube in the past, probably without
his knowledge or consent, and people were often only able to watch them with
proprietary software (the Adobe Flash player) and patent-encumbered media
formats.

Since YouTube now encodes videos into WebM alongside the patent-encumbered
media formats it seems like less of an issue to me but it's probably best to
write RMS directly and get his response about putting his speeches there.