australia-public-discuss

Re: [Australia-public-discuss] Draft of petition to House of Reps

From: Andrew Pam
Subject: Re: [Australia-public-discuss] Draft of petition to House of Reps
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:11:25 +1000

Ben Sturmfels wrote:
> If you have a moment, please take a look at the draft petition over the
> weekend and let me know if you have any feedback.
>
> http://www.softwarefreedom.com.au/resources/patents-petition.pdf

- "synchronisation" is missing the "h"
- Maybe explain why s/w patents result in withholding techniques, when
they are instead supposed to teach them?
- Insert "Australian" before "software industry cannot, therefore, be
well-represented"; MS is not Australian and does not speak for the
industry in this country
- Maybe delete "We were unaware of the public consultation, so could not
make a submission." or replace with something more general
- Worth mentioning that the lack of s/w patents allowed us to take a
leading role in the development of global Internet commerce and security
(SSLeay -> OpenSSL)?

Andrew