autoconf-archive-maintainers

sanitizer macro: request for comments

From: Michael Stapelberg
Subject: sanitizer macro: request for comments
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 13:09:44 +0200

[cc: people who contributed sanitizer-related changes to configure.ac in sudo, systemd and NetworkManager]

Hey,

I wrote an m4 macro (attached to this email) for enabling sanitizers, e.g. AddressSanitizer, MemorySanitizer, UndefinedSanitizer, also known as ASAN, MSAN and UBSAN, respectively, see also https://github.com/google/sanitizers for more details.

I decided to write a macro because I saw ad-hoc configure code to that effect in at least systemd, sudo and NetworkManager, so I figured centralizing that code into AX_SANITIZERS might make sense. Do you agree with that assessment, or is there anything that would prevent you from using AX_SANITIZERS in your project?

There are two open questions with the macro, though:

• Please see the TODO in the code about having to specify -Wc, for libtool — any pointers/insights as to how to approach that?

• Please see the TODO in the code about specifying -O1 — does that make sense? Any ideas about how to accomplish that?

Thanks for any feedback!

--
Best regards,
Michael