autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Various issues with AX_DIST_RPM

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Re: Various issues with AX_DIST_RPM
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 10:17:16 -0800

On Thu, 2018-01-18 at 17:02 +0100, Thomas Petersen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to use AX_DIST_RPM in my project to make it easy to build
> rpm packages but doing so I have encountered various issues.

Hey Thomas,

This doesn't really answer your question, but is a gentle suggestion in
another direction. I'd encourage you to not make your build environment
(e.g. Autoconf and Automake) depend on distro specific packaging tools,
but keep them separate.

Everything needed to build Debian packages, as an example, is isolated
into a debian/ directory such that what's in it can depend on what's
outside of it (e.g. configure.ac, Makefile.am, etc.), but not the other
way around.

There are many reasons for this, but one of them is that building from
source may occur on a distribution other than the one you are using
where .spec or pbuilder environments are non-existent.

Yours truly,

--
Kip Warner | Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP signed/encrypted mail preferred