autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Various issues with AX_DIST_RPM

From: Thomas Petersen
Subject: Re: Various issues with AX_DIST_RPM
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 16:12:23 +0100

Kip Warner schrieb:

>> I am trying to use AX_DIST_RPM in my project to make it easy to build
>> rpm packages but doing so I have encountered various issues.
> This doesn't really answer your question, but is a gentle suggestion in
> another direction. I'd encourage you to not make your build environment
> (e.g. Autoconf and Automake) depend on distro specific packaging tools,
> but keep them separate.

Thank you for your comments. I agree it would be prettier to have those
distro specific things isolated in subdirectories as you suggest. I
guess I just try out this macro as it seemed to be an easy way to build
a rpm package.

Using the macro doesn't really make the project depend on this specific
packaging tool. It's still an optional feature that is available if rpm
is present. The program still compiles and installs as usual (make &&
make install) if rpm is not present.

Anyway I have put a patch on the patch tracker (#9550) with my
suggestions to improving ax_dist_rpm. Your comments are welcome.

Regards,
Thomas Petersen