autoconf-maintainers

Re: Autoconf 2.54 is released

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Autoconf 2.54 is released
Date: 13 Sep 2002 16:11:12 +0200

>> This version is no longer maintained.  It does not address recent
>> architectures, recent compilers etc.  We know that upgrading from
>> 2.13 to 2.5x is not an easy task, especially because the Autoconf
>> 2.13 was extremely tolerant to incorrect macro invocations, but
>> waiting longer endangers the portability of your package and only
>> delays the conversation to newer Autoconf versions.  Worse: some
>> maintainers now spend a significant amount of time fixing bugs in
>> 2.13 or backporting macros from 2.53.

Sascha>     If you would address the issue of inherent slowness, I'm
Sascha> sure that many people would find it easier to completely
Sascha> switch to 2.5x.

Sascha>     The two build systems I authored (for the Apache HTTP
Sascha> Server and PHP 4.x) fully support and make use of autoconf
Sascha> 2.13, because our volunteers prefer the rapid compile & test
Sascha> cycles of autoconf 2.13.  Unscientific tests show a 5 to 6
Sascha> times speed decrease in 2.5x which is basically unacceptable
Sascha> for anyone who wants to get work done.

Sascha>     Our build systems have been adapted to work with 2.5x, so
Sascha> that the only major obstacle is the time it takes autoconf
Sascha> 2.5x to recreate configure.

Sascha>     FYI, why our two projects are hesitant to switch..

Thanks for the report!