autoconf-prs

autoconf/223: autoconf/223: defmac output in docs contains spaces before

From: offby1
Subject: autoconf/223: autoconf/223: defmac output in docs contains spaces before openeing paren
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:55:05 -0600 (CST)

The following reply was made to PR autoconf/223; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden,address@hidden
Subject: autoconf/223: defmac output in docs contains spaces before openeing
paren
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:11:50 -0400

 >Number:         223
 >Category:       autoconf
 >Synopsis:       defmac output in docs contains spaces before openeing paren
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       non-critical
 >Environment:
 Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
 Here's how to see the problem:

 * view the autoconf manual in Emacs' Info by typing

         C-h i d m a u t o c o n f <return>

 * find the first macro definition by typing

         s SPC - SPC m a c r o <return>

   It looks like this:

  - Macro: AC_INIT (PACKAGE, VERSION, [BUG-REPORT], [TARNAME])

 Note that there's a space before the left-paren.  Such spaces must not
 be present in the actual configure.ac file, however, since M4 doesn't
 allow them (or, more precisely, since M4 would assume that you meant
 to call the AC_INIT macro with no arguments).

 I stumbled upon this problem while naively copying lines from the Info
 manual to my configure.ac; that yielded errors which took me a while
 to figure out.

 It would be better if the manual had no space before the left-paren,
 like this:

  - Macro: AC_INIT(PACKAGE, VERSION, [BUG-REPORT], [TARNAME])

 That way naive folks such as myself would have one hurdle to climb
 while learning autoconf.
 >How-To-Repeat:
 See above description
 >Fix:
 Either remove the leading spaces from @defmac invocations in autoconf.texi,
and put up with warnings from texinfo, or hack texinfo to allow such
invocations.