Re: autoconf problem

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: autoconf problem
Date: 16 Oct 2000 09:57:06 +0200

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Long <address@hidden> writes:

Michael> Hi, I spent about 2 hours trying to get autoconf to make
Michael> until I realized it picked up "/bin/m4" (my system's) instead
Michael> of "/usr/local/bin/m4" (gnu's)

Michael> I'm not sure exactly the best way to handle this, but some
Michael> suggestions: 1. check /usr/local/bin before you check any
Michael> other paths...this way, if they have a built-in m4, you
Michael> should pick up the gnu version first

Michael> 2. do "m4 --version" and if you don't see "GNU" in the
Michael> string, then fail

Hi,

Thanks for the report.  I confess I'm a bit surprise: autoconf does
check that it is using GNU M4 (both 2.13, the latest release, and the
version in development).

Could you be more specific: what version of autoconf are you running,
what gives `` sh -x `which autoconf` '' etc.  Anything that could
actually help us understand what happens.