Re: Moving to Automake 1.4a

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Moving to Automake 1.4a
Date: 12 Jan 2001 11:54:45 -0700

>>>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

Pavel> I guess you are slightly confused. Makefile.in generated by the
Pavel> CVS Automake will be included in all releases of
Pavel> Autoconf. Moreover, Makefile.in are even included in the CVS
Pavel> repository of Autoconf. You shouldn't need CVS Automake to
Pavel> build CVS Autoconf (but you may need some script like
Pavel> egcs-update to ensure that Makefile.in's are newer that their
Pavel> dependencies after CVS update).

I think it is important that automake-using distributions use an
actual release and not the cvs automake.

libffi used the cvs automake at one point in time.  Now there is no
version of automake that can rebuild the libffi Makefiles.  This is a
bad situation, and I don't want to see it repeated.

Tom