Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.
Date: 07 Feb 2001 01:42:52 -0200

On Feb  6, 2001, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is a very bad way.  I don't want to go there, people will ask for
> more and more backward compatibility, and the hell with it.  AU_DEFUN
> and nothing more.

This is a very bad attitude towards our users.  They should be free to
choose whatever versions of autoconf they want their projects to work
with.

Since we already have the machinery to compare autoconf versions,
given AC_PREREQ, why not use it to offer an additional primitive such
as AC_VERSION_CASE(VERSION, CMD, [VERSION, CMD, ...][, CMD])

The pairs VERSION, CMD should have versions in decreasing order.  I
don't see anything wrong it this.  We might even use it ourselves.
Say: we can declare that a certain macro is deprecated, and it will be
removed in version 2.0.  So, we enclose it definition in:

AC_VERSION_CASE(2, [error out or do nothing], [
AU_DEFUN(THE_MACRO, ...)])

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}