Re: autoconf bug?

From: Tomas Berndtsson
Subject: Re: autoconf bug?
Date: 09 Feb 2001 15:26:55 +0100

Cc:ing to address@hidden too.

"Lars J. Aas" <address@hidden> writes:

> : > : AC_CHECK_FUNCS(dlopen, , [AC_CHECK_LIB(dl,dlopen, ,
> : > :     [AC_MSG_ERROR([
> : > : *** Zen does not function properly without dlopen, sorry.])])])
> : > :
> : > : which gave exactly the same error as before.
> : >
> : > Maybe the outer context hasn't been quoted correctly, making your
> : > seemingly correct quotes be expanded too soon or something?
> :
> : Could you explain more how I should have done it? I don't understand
> : what you mean by "the outer context".
>
> The outer context is what surrounds the part you've extracted and put
> it the mail.  If for instance it was part of another macro, like
>
> AC_CHECK_WHATEVER(arg1, arg2, ...,
>   AC_CHECK_FUNCS(dlopen, , [AC_CHECK_LIB(dl,dlopen, ,
>      [AC_MSG_ERROR([
> *** Zen does not function properly without dlopen, sorry.])])])
> )
>
> Then you would have to add another set of quotes to envelope the whole
> argument to the AC_CHECK_WHATEVER macro.  It's probably not the case
> though.  Check for run-away strings and m4 quotes above that section in
> your configure.in, and also check configure to see if there's strange
> things happening further up too...

The block I included in the mail is a separate block, directly from my
configure.in, it's not part of another macro.

I also have this block, right after:

AC_CHECK_LIB(pthread,pthread_create, ,
    [AC_MSG_ERROR([
*** Zen does not function properly without libpthread, sorry.])])

And that works just fine. The only difference is that I don't have the
AC_CHECK_FUNCS(...) around this one. When I added that, the comma in
the string made it go wrong, for some reason I don't know.

Removing the comma in the problematic block is the _only_ difference I
made to make it work, so I can't see that it would be some other
string that is causing it.

I can include the whole configure.in, if someone wants to see?

Tomas