Re: Latest snapshot of AUTOCONF

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: Latest snapshot of AUTOCONF
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:15:36 +0000

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 05:28:11PM +0100, Lars J. Aas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 12:30:41PM +0000, John Poltorak wrote:
> : How do I get the latest version of AUTOCONF using CVS?
>
> cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs login
> cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs co autoconf

Thanks. I have downloaded it now and tried it out...

I'm attempting to run it on OS/2 and am particularly interested in
support for DOS pathnames...

When running configure, it ends with this msg:-

* Status

        /*-------------.
        | Do not use.  |
        `-------------*/

* Serious Problems

** Special characters and config.hin

The handling of special characters, most notable backslashes, of
course, might be nonportable in addition of being of clearly
specified.

** AC_TRY_EVAL of multi line commands

Is broken.  The problem is mostly that, again, the policy wrt special
characters is not clearly defined.  Because of this,
_AC_INIT_PREPARE_FS_SEPARATORS will output undesired messages, but is
not guilty.

./configure: /home/lrde/prof/akim/src/ace/tests; conftest.sh: Aucun
fichier ou r
épertoire de ce type

AC_TRY_COMMAND is.

** AC_CHECK_PROG

and all the macros that use it, are paying the change for test -f to
test -x to determine whether a candidate path is an executable: now we
have false positives with directories which, indeed, are test -x.

Is this to be expected?

Also, should it search the PATH when:-

checking for a BSD compatible install... ?
Install.exe is on the path, but configure selects  ./install-sh -c
instead.

Is there anythinhg I can do about this?

--
John