Re: Force alternate path for lib?

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Force alternate path for lib?
Date: 28 Feb 2001 06:01:16 -0300

On Feb 27, 2001, Emiliano <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would just add a --with-libfoo option which adds $withval in front
> of $LIBS and $CPPFLAGS, but the compilation process picks up on the
> first lib anyway (as shown by ldd after compilation finished).

This probably adds some -L/dir -llibname to LIBS.  This affects the
linker when it searches for a library at link time, but not the
dynamic loader when it looks for the library at run time.  If both
libraries have the same SONAME (which seems to be the case, given that
you're probably linking with one but ldd finds the other), you'll have
to use -rpath or some similar option when linking the program, or set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the newer version of the library is found.

Incidentally, this has absolutely nothing to do with autoconf :-)

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}