Re: Canonical system names

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Canonical system names
Date: 01 Mar 2001 08:55:29 +1000

Rasmus Tamstorf <address@hidden> writes:

> On some systems there are more variables which distinguish configurations
> than simply cpu, vendor and os. On mips and sparc for example you can
> build 32 or 64 bit code, and on, say, a mips R10K you can build your code
> using either the mips3 or the mips4 instruction set. What's the "proper"
> way to encode this kind of information in the canonical names (as returned
> by config.guess/config.sub) ? I'd like to be able to do something like :
>
>   ./configure --build=mips4_n32

GMP has wanted this too.  In the next release we're going to have a
scheme of for instance

    ./configure --host=mips3-sgi-irix6 ABI=n32

Similar stuff for sparcv9, hppa2.0 and powerpc64 too.  From an
autoconf point of view all it really does is choose some special
default compiler and linker flags (though in practice it gets a bit
trickier).