Re: UnixWare-7.1.1 failure of autoconf-2.49c selftest

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: UnixWare-7.1.1 failure of autoconf-2.49c selftest
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:26:47 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Allan!

> > I won't object against excluding `fc' from the default list of known
> > fortran compilers.
>
> I wonder if we can check for "fc" being a function of the shell, and if
> so, skip it as a compiler.

The existing test in Autoconf will never pick up anything other than a
file because in actually scans $PATH. That's why the failure is only
observed on the systems with `fc' being a file in $PATH.

Another problem is that using `fc' in makefiles without full path will be
impossible anyway with many modern shells.

However, I don't like your proposal. I would rather require that Autoconf
always prepends full path to the files it finds in $PATH. In this case you
can actually use `fc' if it happens to be a compiler, even if your shell
has a builtin with this name.

This would be a very radical change to be applied before Autoconf-2.50, I
believe. The testsuite should pass for you now.

I hope you don't object that I'm moving the discussion to
address@hidden This is an important issue and it's not the first time
that we have problems with Autoconf not supplying full path when it's
needed.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin