Re: installation instructions on OpenBSD and FreeBSD

From: Marc Espie
Subject: Re: installation instructions on OpenBSD and FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:19:52 +0100

I wrote:
> Marc> I don't have any objection to guessing at -I/usr/local/include
> Marc> and -L/usr/local/lib on BSDs...

Actually, I have one reservation. This MUST be overridable by the
person running configure.

In the first place, we do want to be able to build the system without
getting influenced by what is in /usr/local... if configure gets smarter
and starts outguessing us, then we're back where we started, and we
can't build clean systems in a reproducable way (because configure will
find out a tk that's in /usr/local, say, and start building gdb with tk
support, which is mostly fine, except that the base system doesn't ship
with tk, or some such thing).

So, we definitely must have a switch to turn so that configure won't
second-guess the system installation. A simple
--system-paths-only
or something similar would be enough.

Nothing cuter. Cute gadgets work 99% of the time, and take hours to debug
the remaining percent.

This is very important. Having automatic guessing and not having such
a switch would mean all BSDs would have to patch configure before importing
stuff into their respective trees, and all three systems developpers would
get angry at me for making such a half-baked suggestion in the first
place... :)