Re: AC_CANONICAL_HOST called behind my back?

From: akim
Subject: Re: AC_CANONICAL_HOST called behind my back?
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 01:25:13 +0200

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 01:47:32PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:

> My point was that the 2.13 version of AC_CYGWIN did
> not require AC_CANONICAL_HOST. By adding that AC_REQUIRE()
> we are breaking configure.in files that do not use
> AC_CANONICAL_HOST. I am saying that the AC_CYGWIN macro
> should at least try to be backwards compatible in
> this respect. Telling people to add AC_CANONICAL_HOST
> along with install.sh, config.guess, and config.sub
> is not really an option.

I think it is.  You are referring to bugward compatibility again,
AC_CYGWIN from the start, should not have been any different from the
other host: config.guess and config.sub.  Adding config.guess and
config.sub to your project does not sound like a monstruous bug to
me.  Adding dedicated code to Autoconf when there is a mainstream strategy
sounds like one to my ears.

I understand it is inconvenient to you, and I'm sympathetic to your
complain, nonetheless, please, think to the actual problem and wonder
whether you'd have complained if 2.13 was like this from the start.