Re: Release candidate

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: Release candidate
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:24:41 -0400

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 02:32:13PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> | There is still the problem that autoconf mixes up variable assignments
> | and macros.  This is up-to-the-minute CVS autoconf:
> |
> |         address@hidden configure.in
> |         AC_INIT
> |
> |         AM_CFLAGS=foo
> |         address@hidden
> |         configure.in:3: error: undefined macro: AM_CFLAGS
> |         address@hidden
>
> I'm afraid nothing can be done against this but declaring to Autoconf
> what are the names you will use.

I don't understand why there is any prohibition on what variable
names one may use.

But at the very least, could the error message be changed to say
"illegal variable name" or something.  It is confusing to get
a diagnostic about "undefined macro" when I set a shell variable.

Thanks,
-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,