Re: feature suggestion: how to figure out specific size types.

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: feature suggestion: how to figure out specific size types.
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:34:11 +0200 (CEST)

Keith Bostic writes:

> For example, databases need to write fixed-size information into
> memory and onto disk, and so have to know how big a type really is.

AC_CHECK_SIZEOF?

> Another example are applications that are written (correctly)
> to use ssize_t.  If the system has a size_t, but not a ssize_t,
> to what type do you typedef the ssize_t?

Since all functions that I know that use ssize_t use it as a return value
you can just be conservative and use the biggest integer type you have
available.  In trickier situations (pointer to ssize_t as argument), you
can follow the approach taken by the accept() arguments check in the macro
archive.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter