Re: autoconf-2.50 docs: Common Behavior/Default Includes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: autoconf-2.50 docs: Common Behavior/Default Includes
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 02:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Lars Hecking <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:33:14 +0100
>
>  I'm unfamiliar with the C99 Standard, but did it adopt sys/types.h,

No.

>  or define any relationship between sys/types.h and stdint.h/inttypes.h?

Only indirectly.  E.g. POSIX says sys/types.h defines size_t, and C99
says size_t must be no wider than uintmax_t, which is defined by
stdint.h and by inttypes.h.

Also, while we're on the subject, POSIX 1003.1-200x draft 6 says that
there must be a compilation environment where size_t is no wider than
long, and the GNU coding standards say that it is safe to assume that
size_t is no wider than long.  The only known potential porting target
that violates this assumption is Microsoft Windows on the 64-bit Intel
platform.