Re: Making configure.in so the good compiler is choose

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Making configure.in so the good compiler is choose
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:10:09 +0200

David Burg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope outlook will let this real plain text ! ;-) Well, I'm trying to make
> a configure.in file that support Canadian Cross compiling with the help of
> the autobook 1.3.
Well, I actually doubt you really want to build Canadian Cross, but
to be trying to implement ordinary Cross-Building.

> First, I just would like to signal I was a bit surprised by this
> AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM macro that does crash when you provide a cross-compiler
> as CC. Isn't possible to make it run better ? Or did I something wrong ?
Which version of autoconf are you using? There have been significant
changes wrt. this topic since autoconf-2.13.

> Ok, ok, then I try :
>
> bash-2.04# rm config.cache
Aha, this indicates using autoconf-2.13

> bash-2.04# autoconf
>
> bash-2.04# CC=arm-linux-gcc
> ./configure --target=arm-linux --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> [..]
> checking for c++... c++
>
> (No, no, no I don't want to test c++, I want to test arm-linux-gcc ! )

> This is the result will a configure.in file with :

> AC_INIT(confdefs.h)
> dnl determine the target system
> AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM
>
> dnl Checks for programs.
> AC_PROG_CPP
> AC_PROG_CXX
This is the culprit for the c++-check. You probably might want to
use AC_PROG_CC, instead.