Re: [autoconf] AmigaOS fork()

From: Rüdiger Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [autoconf] AmigaOS fork()
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:27:13 +0200

>--[Tim Van Holder]--<address@hidden>
> On 31 May 2001 15:15:49 +0200, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> Akim was talking about the 'case "$host"', I think.
> The problem is that since we are testing whether a function works, we
> need to _run_ that function.  When cross-compiling, this is not
> possible, so checking for platforms where the function in question is
> known to be broken seemed acceptable.  I suppose it would be better to
> simply display a warning about how it is impossible to check for a
> working fork when cross-compiling, but that doesn't make the result of
> the test any better.

So we need something like AC_MSG_CROSS_WARN that basically does
_AC_ECHO_N([[CROSS] ])
_AC_ECHO_N([[CROSS] ], AS_MESSAGE_LOG_FD)
and maybe outputs a warning at the end of configure, that some values
needed to be guessed due to cross-compiling?

Having a global marker one can look for in config.log would ease
cross-compiling, as nowadays everybody does it his way. Maybe
AC_MSG_CROSS_WARN could also output to config.log, which cache value would
have to be set.

Anyway, if you want me to let this test just fail instead, just tell me.

Yours, Rüdiger.

                -- Mahatma Ghandi