Re: Fortran name-mangling scheme fails on HP-UX 11.11

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Fortran name-mangling scheme fails on HP-UX 11.11
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:44:23 -0500

On 28-Jun-2001, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

| On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Denis Barbier wrote:
| > But there is no reason for AC_F77_WRAPPERS to require
| > AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS; in _AC_F77_NAME_MANGLING one may simply (well,
| > i have no idea whether this is simple or not) link against Fortran
| > compiler to suppress this dependency and have a safer AC_F77_WRAPPERS
| > macro. Or did i miss something obvious?
|
| Well, then you have the opposite problem: figuring out whether there are
| any special flags or libraries that you need to pass to the Fortran
| linker in order to link to C programs.  (Generally, the answer seems to be
| no, but can we count on that always being true?)

No, if you include C++ compilers in with C compilers.

Since I think the AC_F77 macros are useful for linking Fortran with C
or C++ code, I think they should continue to be used that way.  If you
try linking with the Fortran compiler when you mix C++ and Fortran, I
think you will run into some trouble.  I seem to remember that special
things may need to be done to handle templates, constructors for
global objects, an perhaps sother things (correct me if that's never
true).

I think the macros in Autoconf were originally derived from the ones I
wrote for Octave, and eventually I would like to drop my macros and go
with the ones from Autoconf.  Please don't change things to make that
a difficult or impossible thing to do.

Thanks,

jwe

--