Building optional shared libraries

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Building optional shared libraries
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 12:03:20 -0700

I know this is a very basic question, and I hope not too off topic.  I'm
new to this.

I'm looking for an example use of autoconf to optionally use a shared
library, and what to instructions to give when the library is installed in
a non-standard location.  I'm wondering if there's a standard approach.

I'm using --with-libxml2=DIR in my configure.in, but what I'm not clear on
how to deal with non-standard locations that are not $DIR/include and $DIR/lib

For example, to optionally install libxml2:

AC_ARG_WITH(libxml2,
[  --with-libxml2[=DIR]    Build with libxml2 parsers. Specify optional
path],[
    if test "$withval" == "yes"; then
        LIBXML2_OBJS="parser.o"
        LIBXML2_LIB="-lxml2"
        LIBXML2_CFLAGS="-DLIBXML2"
    elif test "$withval" != "no"; then
        LIBXML2_OBJS="parser.o"
        LIBXML2_LIB="-R$withval/lib -L$withval/lib -lxml2"
        LIBXML2_CFLAGS="-I$withval/include -DLIBXML2"
    fi
])
AC_SUBST(LIBXML2_OBJS)
AC_SUBST(LIBXML2_LIB)
AC_SUBST(LIBXML2_CFLAGS)

Say the non-standard locations (which are the build directories) are
      $HOME/libxml2-2.4.5/include
      $HOME/libxml2-2.4.5/.libs

What instructions should I give in the INSTALL docs?

LDFLAGS="-R$HOME/libxml2-2.4.5/.libs -L$HOME/libxml2-2.4.5/.libs" \
./configure --with-libxml2=$HOME/libxml2-2.4.5

Or LD_RUN_PATH?

Thanks,

  LD_RUN_PATH or

Bill Moseley