Re: FHS && ./configure

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: FHS && ./configure
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:11:53 +0100

Es schrieb Gioele Barabucci:

> On Monday 29 October 2001 01:56, you wrote:
>
> > correct, ... and at the same time, inconvenient for the quick builds
> > when carrying a tarball of my projects around. It should be then just
> > configure/make/make-install even for win32-target where the files
> > should go under /programs, and it for quite some unices a different
> > scheme about /opt packs is virulent. I hacked up a macro for that, but
> > as noted above, it's use it not recommend - it just happens to be there ;-)
> >
> > http://ac-archive.SF.net/guidod/ac_set_default_paths_system.html
> >
> > by the way, to be FHS compliant with a single prefix-system is a
> > very hard task - manpages go to /usr/local/man but /usr/share/man
> > when under /usr.
> ?? sure? /usr/local should be a replication of /usr IIRC, so
> /usr/local/share/man is the correct directory

that was my guess too, before I read the standard.

fhs-2.2.txt, 4.11.5.2 (page 26):
       Manual pages for commands and data under /usr/local are stored in
       /usr/local/man.  Manual pages for X11R6 are stored in /usr/X11R6/man.
       It follows that all manual page hierarchies in the system must have the
       same structure as /usr/share/man.

and 4.9.2 /usr/local, requirements will list /usr/local/man explicitly to exist.

> > The only thing I want to raise my voice again - please add a
> > generic docprefix where all these docprefix/{man|info|help|html}
> > files can be put under, nuke manpath/infodir in the distant
> > future. pleeeeeease....
> Why nuke it? you can just add your --docprefix and leave that options where
> they are.
yes, we can let it live on for years.. until info-pages are gone
and replaced with some xml/docbook variants....

> BTW html files goes under /usr/share/doc/APPNAME/html while man is in
> /usr/share/man

there is no such requirement other than being set by a linux distributor
but I did not check the latest document if that has gone in as standard.
likewise one could assemble the html/xml/docbook/whateverMLvariant into
a single place that has not yet emerged in a standard way (I like to have
them linked into a single dir that I reference back from the local httpd)
but with a docprefix one can relax about the actual root node for such
doc page centers...

basically, I'd see we introduce a $docprefix (or similar name) and let it
be set to just the same $prefix by default by adding somewhere a thing
like docprefix='${prefix}', then do change the default-inits like so:
s|.prefix./man|{docprefix}/man|
s|.prefix./info|{docprefix}/info|

to change the current default settings over there too, and let them go
through docprefix. It still needs that quite some software (eg. automake)
does honour this extra variable too, so this can not be switched over
in a few weeks, the change needs to be stretched over a couple of years...

cheers,
-- guido                            Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut
GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)