[autoconf] Fortran 90

From: Kate Hedstrom
Subject: [autoconf] Fortran 90
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:11:12 -0800

I've been looking at fortran.m4 and I agree with Akim that it shouldn't
need a complete duplication for each of f90, f95, and f2k. It seems
to me that we have one language (Fortran) with different dialects. The
one major difference between the dialects is the list of compilers to
try. I don't foresee using more than one dialect per project, including
the fixed-/free- format choices.

Does anyone know how to rewrite it in terms of one Fortran language?
Are there people who are going to use more than one dialect at a time
rather than using only the best compiler available?

It seems to me that the compiler name of $F77 is unfortunate in that it
cries out for $F90 and $F95 friends. Some versions of make use $FC
instead - can we change the $F77? Ignoring that everything is called f77,
I could use fortran.m4 as it stands if the compiler search were reversed,
with f95 first and f77 last. Bill Wendling's module check is a useful
addition, as is the f95 forall check.

Kate
--
Kate Hedström       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
address@hidden       University of Alaska, Fairbanks