[RFC] shtool

From: Bonzini
Subject: [RFC] shtool
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:22:12 +0200

I've recently submitted a patch to automake so that it can use shtool
instead of the mkinstalldirs, mdate and install shell scripts.  However, I
think that for shtool support to be complete we need to support it in
autoreconf as well, which I volunteer to do.  To this end, I would propose a
macro

   AC_CONFIG_SHTOOL(scpp arx mdate)

where the argument would indicate which shtool scriptlets we are interested
in (so that autoreconf can pass it to shtoolize).  This macro would expand
to nothing, except maybe setting SHTOOL=$ac_aux_dir/shtool and AC_SUBST'ing
it the first time it is called.

The reason I am writing is to discuss this design so that I don't do the
autoreconf work twice.  Comments?

Paolo