Re: cache-file

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: cache-file
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:06:52 -0400

Thomas Dickey wrote:
It's about the cache-file. I'm using autoconf 2.53 and in the 'configure'
script I always get 'cache_file=/dev/null'. I know I could use a cache
passing the '-C' option to 'configure', but I would prefer to have it
automatically set to 'config.cache' by autoconf.

you can (until some kludger "improves" things again) assign to the cache_file
shell variable in your configure.in

Before you do that, however, you should understand that the cache file was removed by default for a *reason*: users experienced continual problems by inadvertently using stale cache files (archetypically because they upgraded their system to satisfy some unsatisfied dependency that configure itself had complained about). (There was a recent thread about this on this list.)

If you want to use config.cache on your own machine, for your own use, a better solution is to modify the config.site file (search for "config.site" in the autoconf manual) to set the cache_file variable.

Steven