Re: What should the infodir default be?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: What should the infodir default be?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:19:29 -0700

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  adl> Many things are now creeping into $datadir:
>  adl>   $(datadir)/$(PACKAGE)/
>  adl>   $(datadir)/locale/
>  adl>   $(datadir)/man/            --mandir
>  adl>   $(datadir)/info/           --infodir
>
>  adl> The habit of using --datadir to move package data elsewhere no
>  adl> longer works: it will also affect the three other directories.
>
>  Richard> This suggests there should be a standard name for
>  Richard> $(datadir)/$(PACKAGE)/, so you can change that instead
>  Richard> of datadir.  Would that handle this problem?
>
> I think so.
>
> Having a standard name for $(datadir)/locale/ would be nice too;

This all seems to mitigate towards a standard --with/--enable
type of mechanism:  --mumble-dir=xxx for example.

Since I am guessing we are talking autoconf here,
I've added that list to the CC line.  A likely
autoconf support macro might be:

  AC_INSTALL_DIR( data,   [[${prefix}/share]] )
  AC_INSTALL_DIR( mumble, [[${datadir}/mumble]] )

which would set the default, add it to the appropriate
command line processing code and insert some usage stuff.